The John D. Burns Archives
Trinity College School archives date back to the establishment of the School in 1865. Today, named the John D. Burns Archives, the collection is impressive in size and has grown to include materials that can be accessed online.
Scope and content of the collection
The records consist of the history of Trinity College School. The collection consists of school publications; newspapers and articles written about the School’s history regarding buildings, headmasters, faculty and students; photographs; student files and academic records; correspondence; diaries; financial ledgers; pamphlets and programmes; student admission cards and ledgers; artwork; films; albums; compact discs and cassettes; and ephemera. All records were produced since the School’s inception in 1865.
Date of creation
The School has been collecting records pertaining to its history since 1865. Trinity College School was opened in 1865 as a preparatory school for the University of Toronto’s Trinity College. The School was founded by Reverend W.A. Johnson and began as an Anglican school in Weston, Ontario with nine students. The School is now a non-denominational school with Anglican roots, located in Port Hope, Ontario. The School’s student population is approximately 550. The School has both a Senior and a Junior School with education beginning in Grade 5. The School’s archives reveal the rich history of this academic institution and serve as an excellent source of history for alumni, academic researchers, faculty, students and support staff. The sphere of functional responsibility of the archives is to preserve the history of the institution and the people involved.
The records are currently stored in the W.A. Johnson Classroom Block, the main building for the School’s social sciences department. There is also an overflow storage area located on the fourth floor of the School’s Fessenden Wing.
The John D. Burns Archives is staffed by a School archivist, a member of the faculty with a Masters of Arts in history and archival studies and an archival assistant, a member of staff with an Honours B.A. in history. All positions are part-time.
The John D. Burns Archives is not open on a regular basis. However, Viola Lyons, the archival assistant, is willing to meet with visitors by appointment. Donations of items of interest to the archives that fall within the scope of our acquisitions policy are gratefully received.