The TCS Parents’ Guild is the oldest existing organization of its kind in Canada, founded in 1902 with a mandate “to complete the chapel and other interests of the School.” While the chapel continues to be a priority, the guild has evolved over the years to reflect the contemporary needs of the school community.
All TCS parents are guild members; this means you are most welcome to attend meetings and events, and your involvement through volunteering, donating and taking part in guild fundraising initiatives is greatly appreciated. The guild’s mandate is to support the daily physical, social and general wellbeing of students, and we hope you will be excited to join us in this worthy endeavour!
2023-2024 Events & Initiatives
More initiatives and events will be posted throughout the school year!
- Volunteer Breakfast & Guild AGM - Thursday, June 6th, 8:30 a.m., Osler Hall (all parents are welcome; email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP)
- Bear Boutique Used Uniform Sale - The guild's annual sale of gently-used uniform items took place on select dates in late August/early September (note that the guild store - the Bear Boutique - is open throughout the school year selling used uniform pieces and TCS gift items, as well as snacks for students)
- Parents Welcome Breakfast and General Meeting - Tuesday, September 19th, 8:30 a.m., Osler Hall
- Bear Fair (Family Fun Day) - Saturday, September 23rd (click here for details on attending, volunteering and/or donating to this community fundraising event!)
- Halloween Fundraiser - Tuesday, October 31st (parents will have the opportunity to pre-order treats to be distributed to students on this day; check the weekly Parents' Newsletter for details)
- Poinsettia Fundraiser - Purchase a poinsettia to decorate the chapel and support the guild's efforts on behalf of students
- Holiday Festive Lantern Workshop - Tuesday, November 28th, Baltimore Valley Garden Centre
- Winter Decorating - November 30th, December 5th & 7th, throughout campus
- Junior School Winter Bazaar - Wednesday, December 6th, throughout the day, Boulden House
- Lunch & General Meeting - Thursday, December 14th, 12:00 p.m., Cavan St. Bar + Bistro, Port Hope
- Valentine's Celebration - Tuesday, February 13th, throughout the day
- Spa Day – Wednesday, February 28th, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Fieldstone Spa
- What does the guild do to support the well-being of students?
Each year, the guild raises funds to support student-centred programs and initiatives at the School. This includes the development of a “wish list” by faculty and staff of potential enhancements to programs and resources.
In recent years, “wish list” funding has included: robotic kits, huddle boards and dry-erase boards, portable staging, playground equipment, squash racquets, canoes, water filling stations, musical instruments, the patio outside Cirne Commons, the greenhouse, outdoor classroom improvements, athletic uniforms, guest speakers and guest musicians… And all of this is in addition to the guild’s annual support for financial assistance, chapel enhancements, house outings and more!
As well, guild volunteers spend countless hours each year operating the Bear Boutique, organizing birthday, Valentines, exam and poinsettia fundraisers, hosting Bear Fair, decorating the Memorial Chapel at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and operating the canteen at school sports events.
- How does the guild raise funds to support student-centred programs?
Our funding comes from membership dues, donations and profits from such fundraising activities as: our tuck shop, “The Bear Boutique”; our annual family fun day, Bear Fair; birthday/care packages; poinsettia sales; hospitality canteen; exam packages; and a huge Valentine's Day celebration.
- What are some of the benefits of being involved with the guild?
There are many great reasons for parents to get involved with the guild by attending meetings and events and/or volunteering:
- Meet other parents, make friends and build a network of TCS parent support
- Become more engaged with your child’s TCS experience
- Help enhance the daily lives of all students
- Learn more about the School
- Have fun!
- How can I get involved?
There are several ways to become involved with the guild:
- Attend a meeting or social event
- Support Bear Fair by attending, volunteering or donating
- Order a “Hug” package to celebrate your child’s birthday or just to show you care!
- Send your child a Valentine Hug (available to order in January) or Exam Survival Kit (available to order in April), or purchase a poinsettia to decorate the chapel (available to order in November)
- If I live far away, can I still get involved?
Yes! Even if you are a boarding parent living far from campus, you can still be active in the guild. Donate to Bear Fair. Order a birthday, Valentine or exam time treat to be delivered to your child by the guild. Purchase a poinsettia for the chapel. Our online forms make it easy to take part in these important guild initiatives.
Details on guild fundraisers are featured in the weekly Parents’ Newsletter – so keep your eyes open for your next chance to support these guild programs and put a smile on your child’s face!
Contact email@example.com for more information on events or how to become involved with the guild.